Call for expressions of interest in a position of Professor of Mathematics or Computer Science
Deadline: Sunday, September 20th, 2020
The Department of Mathematics “Tullio Levi-Civita” of the University of Padova invites expressions of interest for positions at the Researcher and Associate Professor level from any field of Mathematics and Computer Science to be filled through a direct call procedure. Direct calls at the Full Professor level may also be considered on the basis of an absolute excellence of the candidate’s curriculum. The Department is seeking established scientists with an outstanding record of high impact research and academic leadership; the successful candidate will be expected to actively contribute to the department’s academic program, its strategy and governance, as well as providing scientific leadership and participating in large-scale grant applications.
The Direct Calls program of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) provides opportunities to fund academic positions for scientists and scholars who have been working abroad on an equivalent position for at least three years, or for recipients of European Research Council (ERC) and Marie Sklodowska Curie grants. More details about the Direct Calls programù and eligibility criteria can be found below.
The Department of Mathematics is committed to improving the gender balance of its faculty and particularly welcomes applications from qualified women.
Potential candidates are requested to submit a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, a research statement and a teaching statement. Up to 3 referees can be designated and, in case the candidate is shortlisted, will be contacted by the committee.
Any further enquiries can be addressed to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
The submission web portal can be found at: https://web.math.unipd.it/services/calls/welcome.php
Candidates are encouraged to apply by September 20th, 2020.
Expressions of interest will be reviewed by a cross-disciplinary selection committee. For the selected candidates, an official Direct Call recruitment process will be initiated. This consists of several approval steps and requires a formal endorsement from the Italian Ministry of Education, University, and Research, after which the Rector confirms the appointment and sets the salary class of the position depending on merit and length of service (art. 1, c. 9, L. n. 230/2005). The procedure is therefore expected to be completed and the position to be filled within fall 2021.
Eligibility Criteria and additional information
The Direct Calls program of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) provides opportunities to cover academic positions through direct calls to Italian and foreign scholars meeting one of the following necessary requirements:
- scholars who have been working abroad on an academic or research position at a foreign university or research institution (art. 1 c.9, L. n. 230/2005) for at least THREE years. The position they are expected to fill through the Direct Call procedure should be equivalent to the one held for the last three years;
- scholars who have already worked in teaching or research capacities at Italian universities for at least THREE years on a direct call basis authorized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (art. 1 c.9, L. 230/2005);
- recipients, as P.I., of an ERC grant of a duration of at least three years, which has not been completed more than three yearsago (art. 29 c. 7 L. n. 240/2010; Art. 7 c. 2, D. M. n. 635/2016);
- recipients of “Individual Global Fellowships” of the Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions program of a duration of at least three years (art. 4 c. 2, DM n. 963/2015).
For successful candidates having held academic positions abroad, there are substantial tax benefits. For detailed information see the two following links (in Italian):
- Testo coordinato del Decreto Legge 30 Aprile 2019, n. 34 [it]
- Decreto-legge del 30/04/2019 n. 34 – Misure urgenti di crescita economica e per la risoluzione di specifiche situazioni di crisi. – Art. 5 [it]